Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Waiting

I hate looking for work. Hate it. Beyond the obvious (that it means I don't have an income at the moment) it's a violation of almost every principle I hold. People aren't commodities, and I refuse to treat people like commodities, but here I am presenting myself as a commodity to just about anyone willing to put my skills to use in exchange for a barely-livable wage (if I'm that lucky). Also, I feel strongly that the work I do should mean something--I can't just exchange my time and effort for money, because that kind of treadmill makes my stomach churn--but there aren't even enough meaningless positions open, let alone jobs worth the effort.

Worst of all is the waiting. I look at job listings and find a few that remotely relate to me, and I apply to them. And then I wait for a phone call. And I wait. And sometimes I get a note back that "there were a lot of good applications . . . blah blah blah . . . somebody else is a better fit . . . blah blah blah . . . good luck in your search." I'm like a spider in a really poorly-built web who's trying to attract really wary flies. And there are a lot of other spiders in the area and very few flies.

This sucks.

1 comment:

  1. I highly doubt that I could have put it better myself. I actually had my first interview of the freaking YEAR this week... and I've been job hunting steadily since late spring.

    ReplyDelete